Weight loss is definitely not a sprint even though we would love for it to be so. I have set out on a marathon that I dare not get bored with. I had an interesting experience this week as I was assigned to write 23 blog entries for a business that dealt with substance abuse. All 23 blog entries had the key word of substance abuse so I became knowledgeable about all aspects of substance abuse. One thing that I learned is that I may not be abusing alcohol or drugs but I'm just as much an addict as the alcoholic or the drug addict.
In the middle of the afternoon after working hard, I suddenly have this all-consuming urge for a malt or a sundae, etc and in fact tell myself the I deserve it. I do not deserve it and have no right to think that I cannot live without it or that in some way it'll make the rest of the day easier.
I saw distinctly, this week that I was no different than the alcoholic thinking she needed one more vodka or beer or the drug addict needing one more hit of cocaine. I had no right to think that I NEEDED one more high sugar or high fat package of cookies, ice cream soda or malt or sundae.
It was interesting how that moment of clarity hit a re-programming button in my mind and soul. Thursday, I was doing my second job of merchandising and about 9:30 pm, I got some fast food but then I so wanted an ice cream. Then I listened again to my self talk. Here was the conversation, " I need an ice cream to get me through the rest of the night." How different is that from a drug addict saying in order to get through the stress of the day he just HAD TO HAVE a jolt of his favorite drug.
There was absolutely no difference and you know what? I did not buy an ice cream and I made it through the night just fine, just hunky dory fine!.
No comments:
Post a Comment