Sometimes we're held hostage to numbers in all parts of our lives. Maybe it is the numbers on the scale when we step on it in the morning. Maybe it is the number on the food scale saying something measures at 4 ounces or 6 ounces. Or how many measuring spoons and cups do we store in our kitchen drawer?
About three years ago I set out to lose weight and was successful, I might add. But numbers ruled my day -- walking 8-10,000 steps daily, doing 3 sets of leg lifts, sit ups and any number of other muscle training exercises at the gym. Eating 1500 calories. It was good, I lost 55 pounds. But as soon as I stopped counting, the numbers on the scale multiplied like there was no tomorrow. Today, I've managed to recapture all but 12 of those pounds I lost.
Does it have to be that way? I don't think so. When my daughter and her long-time boyfriend announced they were going to get married in the spring of 2012, I took one look at myself and decided I would NOT be a fat mother-of-the-bride. So here goes again or maybe it will be different this time.
I started examining weight and weight loss and weight gain. Why do some gain and others maintain the same weight for years? I came to this conclusion. There are some things that my body is inefficient in doing. My fat-burning thermostat is not working right. My body does not metabolize sugar or carbs. In other words, I need a tune-up; I need some adjustments to my system.
So it's not all about numbers. I'm attempting to retrain my thinking. I'm taking supplements that are giving my thermostat a bolt of lightening. I'm creating a lifestyle of activity. I do not JUST go walk or lift weights. I bought a push lawnmower. I live in a small town so I never drive anywhere that I can walk to. I walk to the bank. I walk to the post office. I walk to the grocery store.
I will win this battle and I will be 70 pounds lighter in April 2012 when my daughter walks down the aisle in her wedding gown. I will, just watch me!
No comments:
Post a Comment